Sunday, January 23, 2011

Nature

"Nature is never finished." - Robert Smithson (American Artist - 1938 - 1973)

Why is it we are constantly pursuing improvement in our lives?  Isn't there at some point when we'll stop and say, "There, that's it.  Perfection.  Now I can enjoy."?  Don't get me wrong, I can waste time with the best of them (re: today's nap on the couch).  Snuggle under a blanket, grab the remote and flip a few channels, etc.  But, a lot of the time I'm thinking "What can I do next?"  "What can I accomplish today?"  "How can I make the house better?"  Then, I ran across this quote, which made me consider that perhaps our drive to be in constant motion, or to consistently pursue continuous improvement, is built into our natural order of things.  We're hardwired that way, so that we can exist within our natural environment.  Now, if I could just channel that desire for improvement into a little exercise on a regular basis - THAT would be a great way to improve things in 2011 for me!

Whatever you pursue so that you are "never finished", may it be awe-inspiring and fulfilling in your world!

~SMB

No comments:

Post a Comment